THE POWER OF PRAYER!

As an "adopted Whalum" I just HAD to post this. Today was truly one of the most amazing experiences of my life....

Between speaking engagements I picked up a message from Rev. Daddy's sister, Rosemarie, stating that he had taken a turn for the worse and was back in the hospital ICU. Another stroke had occurred accompanied by a series of seizures. When I spoke to Kirk, my heart dropped from the sound of his voice. I've never heard quite that tone from him no matter how negative the situation. He said the stroke was sustained in a part of the brain that was already so damaged there was nothing more they could do. Rosie, Rev. Daddy's wife, asked me to notify several mutual friends, which I did, but it seemed like I should be doing so much more -- but more of what?! As I continued about the tasks of my Mommy/Executive Director routine, I kept tabs with Rosie and Kirk only to hear that Rev. was totally unresponsive, having serious respiratory problems and then -- the clencher -- his blood pressure and heart rate were dropping steadily! The doctors were asking about living wills and other final arrangements.

I did the only thing I know for sure. Within 30 minutes I had contacted every SOH network president asking them to rally their committees for a national conference call prayer with the Whalum family. The few hours before the appointed time seemed like eons. I nervously paced the floor as I prepared my heart and mind to join with my SOH family.

Once we had 4 cities on the line I began to update the group on how dismal the picture looked. The 5th city to call in was Memphis. That network leader had just left the hospital and confirmed how very grave the situation was. Thus the praying began. Then something miraculous happened. As the prayers went up, the blessings came down and Rev. Daddy responded for the first time all day. He began to open his eyes!!! We prayed even harder...the nurses said they couldn't believe what was happening. He was really turning around!

There's a passage of scripture that says something about folk gathering in His name...and another one about the prayers of the righteous availaing much. Well, tonight's experience should make believers out of the most doubting of Thomases. There was no question that the spirit of the Lord was moving BIG TIME. And to top it all off, Rosie held the phone up to Rev.'s ear so he could hear us shouting and praising God for himself. I was practically doing the holy dance in the middle of the living room floor!!!!!!

Prayer is sooooo powerful! I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I DO know WHO holds tomorrow and I praise Him for all the wondrous works He has done. I pray for God's continued blessings on Rev. Daddy, all the Whalums and my precious, loving Stroke of Hope family.

May God's peace abide in each of you,
Hazella

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MY STROKE HERO!!!!!

I walked/ran my 1st marathon with the American Stroke Association in 2005 and I asked Rev. Whalum if he would be my Stroke Hero. When I interviewed him, he told me he had had 26 strokes (at that time). Amazing! I was asked how I stayed motivated when walking and I said if my Stroke Hero can have 26 strokes and survive surely I can walk 26 miles and survive. Well, the word got around and everytime one of my group members would see each other, we would chant 26-26...26-26. It was so powerful!!

Pat Milton