MOVIN' ON UP TO THE EAST SIDE!

So finally FINALLY Dad (Rev. Daddy) is out of St. Francis ICU and temporarily (I emphasize the TEMPORARILY) rehabbing and living at the Primacy Assisted Care facility in East Memphis.  We all have mixed emotions about the move.  

So glad to see him liberated from the oxygen and I.V. and other ICU items.  So glad that there is at least some "forward" movement.  We were all very disappointed when his first swing at rehab (there at St. Francis) didn't work out too well.  So it's wonderful to see him so alert and to hope and believe that this move is in fact the answer to our prayers -- that there would be new and more hopeful chapters in this amazing story of Rev. Kenneth T. Whalum, Sr.

So the difficult part, certainly for his wife Rosie -- but for us too, is the very real aspect of seeing dad "in a home."  It's not anything that ANY of us planned or ever want to accept as a permanent state.  The unfortunate reality for Dad right now is that he is currently unable to swallow -- therefor unable to eat.  He is also facing challenges with mobility -- for now he is bed-ridden.  He can't speak either, so communicating his needs or even an emergency is not possible for now.

All that having been said, we have a certain confidence (isn't it great to have SOMETHING you know for sure!) which I will convey in the following scripture:

"And this is the confidence that we have in Him; That if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.  And if we know He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have ask of Him.

Thank you so much for your prayers -- keep praying, we are praying for you too,

Kirk Whalum

2 comments:

Kenneth said...

I am glad! I spend a lot of time praying, wishing, & hoping for the best for my Grandad. Its hard for me (grandson Kenneth III) because I live out of town & am not able to see or be with Grandaddy Rev. as much as I want. I love & miss Grandad dearly and I am so happy and relieved that this site allows me the opportunity to have some kind of key in on progress. To everyone who is praying & assisting, thank you and God bless you. It is important to pray for. positive movement. Faith changes things. I LOVE YOU GRANDADDY!

God Bless! Kenneth Whalum III

Anonymous said...

I have to express the same sentiment. It's REALLY tough not being in Memphis near grandaddy. I have to pray constantly for myself as well as praying for him because so much of me wants to leave Richmond and come back home. I miss him with everything in me. The joy is that I have SO many funny stories that either he's told or that involve him that keep me going! Everytime my son Kobe says something funny I think about how he always says that Kobe's been here before! :-) It's been very difficult to hear that the funny, quick whitted man we all know and love isn't able to tell us how much weight we've gained! (if you know and love him, he's told you about yourself a time or two! haha!) Just think about all the things building up inside of him that he'll have waiting for us in a few months after his recovery! I'd advise us all to soak up the silence because when he starts talking again, we're going to hear it!!!

Granddaddy, I love you, I miss you, I pray for you! Rosie, know that we are all praying for you as well! You are a blessing both to his life and ours and your pain is our pain. I love you!

Courtney Whalum